A handy list of essential items and things to consider before, during and after your ride.
– Equipment –
- A roadworthy bike
- A D-lock
- Basic tools
- Puncture repair kit/Pump
- Comfortable clothing
- Backpack or panniers
Weather / season dependant:
- Lights and high visibility clothing
- Gloves and a neck buff
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
– The ride and beyond –
– Before –
Take time to plan the night before, ensuring your:
- lights are charged
- bike is located in a convenient place
- tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. This should be checked every week
- bag is packed with clothes for when you’re off the bike, shower kit, and a snack for when you need an energy boost.
– During –
- Wearing layers and a breathable jacket so that you don’t overheat on the bike means you’re less likely to perspire
- Know your route so you don’t need to keep stopping and seeing whether you’re on track
- If you have time, don’t be afraid to see where other cyclists go, they may know a route that will improve your commute.
– After –
- If you plan on showering, invest in a microfibre towel; they’re light and will be dry by the time you cycle home.
- Charge your lights at work so they’re powerful for the journey home.
- Enjoy a healthy, nutritious breakfast that will re-energise you.
One last thing:
Learn how to commute with confidence from those who know how
Commute Smart is an exciting series of videos brought to you by British Cycling, covering all aspects of commuting by bike on the roads of Britain, whether you're an experienced commuter, or cycling into work for the first time.